Monday, November 22, 2010

Cravings.

Ever had a craving for something? Happens to me every morning and the cure always seems to be Chick-fil-a hashbrowns or chocolate from Ginger's desk. Not everything we crave is good for us, and of course on the reverse not everything we crave is bad. We might crave time with our families or more rest. We might crave some gym time or some garlic on our mashed potatoes. Cravings are strong. And cravings often aren't satisfied until they get what they are after. For example, when I crave mexican food...you can give me anything else to eat and it can even be great, but still lead to disappointment. Because what I got is not what I wanted. What I got was not what I was craving.

This seems silly, but I find this also to be true in my relationship with Jesus. If my soul craves Him (and it does), it's not satisfied until I give it what it wants. And what it wants is Him. Time with Him. Reading His word. Talking to Him in prayer. Or maybe just some silence in His presence. Funny thing is I keep trying to feed my soul other things...(kind of like giving any other kind of food but chips and salsa to the person craving mexican). So, why am I so surprised when I find myself unsatisfied? Still craving. I know what to feed my soul to satisfy it... seems simple enough right?

But satisfied and full don't mean the same thing. So, I get so "full" feeding my soul all these other things...that I try to ignore my lack of satisfaction. Ever try that? Like if you've ever ignored the laundry, hoping someone would break into your home and wash and fold it...maybe even hang some in the closet and not take any of your valuables. You eventually end up running out of clothes and decide you have to do laundry or you'll be busting out the birthday suit. Why do we neglect something until it's empty? No need to wait until your out of toothpaste to get more and risk going to work a few days trying not to breathe. I need to remember this in my relationship with Jesus. I don't need to wait until I'm empty or overwhelmed to seek Him. I need to satisfy the cravings by spending time with Him (daily) and not get "full" on so many other things. Because nothing else will satisfy me and anything less will leave me feeling empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment