Sunday, March 16, 2014

Before Bald Brunch

Today, in two and a half hours I'll be removing all my hair. I raised over 2,300 dollars for Childhood Cancer Research and I'm donating a ponytail for the making of a cancer patient's wig.

At brunch this morning, I sat alone, quietly and pensively in a little coffee shop cafe. I thought about the reality of how long it will be before my hair grows back. I thought about all the other ways I could have raised money for cancer research. I thought about how silly I'm going to look and feel. I began to even feel insecure about the insecurity that hasn't even arrived in me yet.

And for a moment all that mattered to me was myself, my hair, my selfish, and my identity as defined by others.

I sat there. And I prayed. I asked the Lord to show me my face and my heart through His eyes.

Luke 12:7
Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

He reminded me that he knows every detail of my being. Therefore, I should not fear. I am insanely valuable to him, with or without hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment