Monday, February 7, 2011

In death, there is new life...


“Show me, O LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life.  5 You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath.”— Psalm 39: 4-5
I recently attended the funeral of my Aunt Curtis, an incredible woman. For those of you who don't know me, I dread funerals. I know that no one likes them, but I absolutely hate them. I get uncomfortable even thinking about them. In fact, my aunt's funeral was the first I've attended since my father passed away in June 2008. However, I'm glad that I went because I was able to see the beauty in a woman who lived for Christ. It's no secret that she will be missed on this side of eternity, but she now gets to spend her days in the tangible presence of the Lord. It's easy for us to forget about death, a fate that we all have in common, but I think reminding ourselves that death is near will allow us to truly live. We aren't supposed to just be preparing for eternity. We should be living for it. Living a life practicing for it. Practicing praising and pleasing the Lord. I hope that I will not focus on death, but on the two sides of life that it separates. Because death is just an exit  to a life "with" God's presence and an entrance to a life "in" God's presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment