Sunday, May 17, 2009

Listen up clover hunters everywhere.

Walks are a great way for me to clear my head and work off all the cookies and coco puffs I tend to enjoy nightly. On this particular walk, my goal was to blare Adele's sultry soulful voice into my ears and sing loud enough that the neighbors would alarm police of a possible crime in the area. I did not bring out Greenville County Police Squad, but I did find five four-leaf clovers. I wasn't looking for the clovers. I just kind of "happened" upon them.
It got me thinking about how we find good solid friendships. Four-leaf clovers are rare, but they aren't impossible to find...and well, if you find one you make sure to treat it with care and keep it. And usually with a little time, one will lead you to another one.

That leads me to this story: Once upon a time at a place we'll call "The Trigger," I found myself in a kitchen surrounded by a diverse group of people who shared a common love: Jesus. I was invited to the Trigger by my artistic, intelligent, and sincere friend Keller Bean. I was immediately introduced to Rene Hips and Ame Gaine, who were cooking in the kitchen. As the night progressed, we were all joined by Grady Pine, Clare McClary and Milton Wents. Each "character" was so distinct, we had Rene (the northerner), Ame (the very southern belle), Grady (the midwest comedian), Clare (the gullible Texan), and Milton (the All-American jock). But what captivated me most about this experience was what I could learn from each person in that room.

Keller made me think about my own sincerity and intentions. His actions were direct. And his affections toward his friends and myself were genuine. He was insightful, but not someone who had to draw the limelight and conversation to himself. He was satisfied in the shadows of the room, a mild patient man. I enjoyed that kind of patience. It was clear that he thought before he spoke and he made me aware of the truth in the old saying, "think before you speak." He doesn't voice an opinion on everything, but when he does voice...his opinions are strong. His creativity and talents were sprinkled throughout the location...in the forms of furniture and art.

Rene was sweet, but strong and bold. There was no doubt in my mind she was extremely intelligent. I could learn from her, the art of articulation. Her words were clear and came out with power, backed by discernment. She was a nurturing and maternal figure amongst the group. Seemingly someone you could count on in a bind.

Ame had the warmth of a southern woman, with a gentleness about her. There was no doubt her vocabulary included frequent "ain'ts" and "ya'lls," but her personality was endearing. I could learn from her to be more welcoming and warm, not to put up the guard before words are even exchanged.

Grady could make a mule laugh (if such things are possible). He had the gift of humor. His words seemed completely uncalulated or premeditated, yet all the punchlines fell in the right place. I could learn from him the value of a laugh and a smile. His presence seemed to fill all the awkard silences and bring a sense of comfort to the group. He complimented the two girls who had cooked...and reminded me how important it is to verbalize thanks.

Clare was adorable. I found her enchanting with a real southern charm. Her innocence made me want to be more Godly: pure in thoughts, words, and actions. She smiled constantly and her naiveness was something I admired. I pray that she will always remain so unpretentious.

Milton, whom I believe showed up last, was the founder of the Trigger. He seemed like someone you would respect, but that you wouldn't be afraid to approach. He was just country enough to make it charming, but not enough to make him a redneck. His location was very open to anyone. Though he showed up last, you could tell his God and his service (job) came first. His discipline and willingness to share his space made him easy to appreciate.

As we play our part in life, we should never ignore the cast of other characters. It is through them that we learn about ourselves and the role we will play for an Audience of One.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Miss Granola Girl....thanks so much for my French name and your kind words. I'm so happy you posted this blog!...better late than never! ;)You're wicked amazing (as this northerner would say!)

    ReplyDelete