Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Who am I? Who are you?

Hebrews 4:12-13 (I'm not going to type it out. Take the time to look it up, we never do enough of the work and discovery ourselves anymore).

On the thought-side: I find it fascinating how we all define things so differently from each other. What a co-worker defines as fun...I might define as terrifying. What a friend defines as irrational...I might define as reasonable. And vice versa.
I have encountered a lot of people recently whose definition of Forgiveness, Truth, and Unconditional Love seem vastly different than mine...
I don't know whether there is always a right or wrong in these situations, but if some people would "act" half as much as they read or half as much as they talk...God's kingdom would be much larger. I'm fed up with people who preach and stand on their soapbox and forget that we are all here, now, together. And if they would just shut-up for half a second, they might actually be able to listen...And hear God speak. We forget that God doesn't always talk through burning bushes. Maybe he wants us to hear Him speak through someone else's voice. So, if you think whatever you have to say is more important than anyone else because you know how to articulate and manipulate the English language...perhaps you should spend less time on adverbs and adjectives and more time on the subject. While you're busy getting tangled up in trivial verbal nonsense...your co-worker, neighbor, friend, cousin is wishing someone cared what she/he has to say when they open their mouth. Their salvation is the subject...(I could insert some stupid pun here...like "so act like a verb, " but that would contradict a portion of my point).
So many places in the Bible I recall people running up to Jesus and asking Him, begging Him for things, but he didn't silence them before they were able to speak. He waited. He listened. And then because he cared, He acted.

(This is not typically my style of communication: the whole bitter, ranting, raving route. But I'm working on a book...and well, sometimes you have to get into character)

1 comment:

  1. "faith without deeds is dead." (James 2:26)

    "let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action." (1 John 3:18)

    ReplyDelete